B2B Communications & PR Expert for Text100 & Havas Group.
Tony Tan is a B2B communications and tech PR expert with over 15 years of strategic digital marketing and communications advisory experience for blue chip multinational technology corporations. He has mastery in the provision of strategic counsel to C-suite executives in areas of media and analyst relations, customer advocacy and reference programs, partner marketing and communications, as well as reputation and issues management. With an excellent relationship and contacts with media and industry analysts across APAC, he is highly skilled in formulating and managing multi market external and internal communications programs across geographies.
Enterprise Technology Content
Enterprise Technology Content Strategy
Founder & Managing Director
May 2019 - Present (2 years 8 months)
- Provided strategic communications counsel and comprehensive marketing services to help brands engage stakeholders and influencers for business impact in the instant world.
- Utilized a blend of traditional, senior-led consulting methods and advanced marketing innovations to uncover insights and created highly targeted campaigns and programs for success across Asia Pacific.
February 2019 - Present (2 years 11 months)
Tony provided strategic counsel and managed APAC-wide media publicity programs for global blue-chip IT vendors including Mellanox Technologies and GlobalSign.
- Led the development of communications strategy and exploring the possibility and potential impact of new areas of work.
- Managed the development of new communications activities and programs aimed at expanding client's digital reach and engagement.
- Developed and wrote content for internal and external media communications.
June 2018 - February 2019 (1 year 8 months)
He delivered strategic counsel, led day-to-day client servicing, and managed multimarket PR programs.
- Led and managed APAC customer advocacy and reference programs for Alipay, Cloudera, and Red Hat – conducted customer interviews and developed advocacy assets including customer win press releases, written case studies, and video testimonials.
- Led regional analyst relations programs for Veritas across the APAC region.
- Clients: Alipay, Cloudera, Veritas, Red Hat, Gartner, DHL Express, and CPG Consultants.
Vice President for Client Experience
Weber Shandwick Singapore
September 2017 - May 2018 (1 year 8 months)
- Led the technology PR practice of Weber Shandwick and managed a team of four communications consultants for high-quality output on a day-to-day basis.
- Provided strategic counsel, planned and managed multimarket integrated PR and social communications programs for blue-chip technology clients including Ericsson, GSM Association (GSMA), Motorola Solutions, Corning Optical Communications, ServiceNow, Agilent Technologies, Eaton and Honeywell.
- Organized APAC customer advocacy and reference program and assets for Corning Optical Communications – established processes, workflow, and best practices; developed advocacy assets (customer win press releases, written case studies, vignettes, presentations, and video testimonials) and communication assets to solicit buy-in from the internal sales team, customers and channel partners.
- Provided C-level counsel on key message strategy, media, and analyst engagement, as well as internal and external communications strategies and programs.
- Planned and leveraged CEO and executive visits across APAC for brand building and thought leadership development through strategic placements of corporate profiling stories in top-tier business media
- Recommended and implemented protocols, best practices, and standard operating procedure for crisis management and communication.
- Worked closely with SVP for Digital in recommending and devising a social and digital strategy and programs for clients.
- Spearheaded and managed analyst relations programs across APAC for clients such as Ericsson, Motorola Solutions and Corning Optical Communications; target analyst firms include IDC Asia/Pacific, Frost & Sullivan, Gartner, Forrester Research, Ovum, ABI Research, and Analysys Mason.
- Drove key messaging, thought leadership and positioning for technology clients across their specialty spaces, and articulated their point of views and differentiation to top-tier business and technology media.
- Conceptualized and produced high-impact communications assets for clients, including byline articles, opinion pieces, video commentary, customer advocacy assets, and success stories for media placement and social amplification.
Client Services Director
Havas Worldwide Siren (rebranded as Red Agency)
January 2010 - September 2017 (8 years 8 months)
He handled all client servicing across various practice groups – infocomm technology, corporate, and government.
- Led day-to-day project team supervision to ensure high-quality output and deliverables.
- Provided strategic counsel, formulate PR and communications strategies, and led communications program executions for infocomm technology clients in Singapore and across Asia Pacific.
- Handled staff training and mentoring and planned and implemented executive communications for CEO visits in Singapore and across Asia Pacific.
- Developed strategic messaging and communications frameworks to help position clients as thought leaders and champions in their respective fields.
- Managed target media and journalists to place high-level news and feature stories that are effective in shaping perceptions and public opinion (issue and reputation management).
- Worked closely with industry analysts including IDC, Gartner, and Frost & Sullivan to anticipate infocomm industry trends, and on periodic industry tracker reports on behalf of infocomm technology clients such as Brocade and Sophos.
- Developed and implemented internal communications strategies and programs (townhalls, all-hands meetings, podcasts, newsletters) for engaging internal stakeholders and communicating change on behalf of clients across their organizations.
- Clients: Brocade, Capillary Technologies, Sophos, NCR Corporation, Silver Peak, Infocomm Media Development Authority of Singapore (IMDA)(Projects), Singapore IT Standards Committee (ITSC) and Singapore Computer Society (SCS) to name a few.
APAC Technology PR Lead & Southeast Asia Digital PR Lead
MSLGroup Asia/MSL Singapore
October 2006 - December 2009 (3 years 2 months)
Tony provided strategic counsel and managed regional communications programs to clients in the consumer electronics, enterprise technology, banking and finance and corporate sectors.
- Served as the regional tech lead for Philips and handled key product launches spanning its consumer electronics, mobile, peripherals and lighting businesses across the APMEA region. Conceptualized launch event ideas and worked closely with lifestyle vendors to create compelling launch events for Philips range of televisions, MP3 players, mobile phones, Swarovski flash storage devices, home cinema innovations and wireless music streaming devices in Singapore.
- Developed regional PR toolkits for Philips to specify communications and product launch guidelines for its range of consumer electronics, mobile, peripherals, and lighting products.
- Led online product test and review programs for Philips, covering traditional online media (such as CNET Asia and Hardware Zone) and select blogs in SEA and Hong Kong.
- Managed product launches and executive interviews for Red Hat and NCR Corporation across SEA – Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, Indonesia, and the Philippines.
February 2006 - October 2006 (1 year 8 months)
- Established TACT PR to service a following clients including Red Hat, Trend Micro and Singapore Infocomm Technology Federation (SiTF).
- Handled the publicity and media relations for iX Conference 2006 and surpassed KPIs set by the Infocomm Development Authority of Singapore (IDA).
McCorkell & Associates
September 2002 - January 2006 (3 years 4 months)
- Provided PR counsel, media relations and content development services on both retainer and project basis to a broad range of consumer and enterprise technology clients, including BenQ , Cable & Wireless, KDDI Singapore, Vanco Asia-Pacific, Quest –J.D. Edwards Users Group (Oracle), Sony, Sungard, Systems Union, Thomson Prometic, Trend Micro, Panduit and SiTF.
- Developed and managed test and review programmes for BenQ, and handled product launches for its series of computing devices and peripherals across SEA –Singapore, Malaysia and Indonesia.
- Was instrumental in the founding of Internet Industry Association of Singapore (IIAS) and recruitment of founding members which included Microsoft, eBay and Yahoo! Southeast.